It’s summertime which means berries are in season! And remember, when a fruit or vegetable is in season it means it will be at its peak freshness for tons of delicious, juicy flavor plus it’s cheaper. I found ricotta and goat cheese were also on sale so I came up with an easy & quick sweet treat using what I had on hand at home as well.
Makes: 2 pieces of bread
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Measuring cup
- 2 slices multigrain toast
- 4 Tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese crumbles
- 1 cup total of berries of your choosing (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. Set 2 pieces of multigrain bread on a plate
2. Spread 4 Tablespoons of whole milk ricotta on the bread (2 Tablespoons for each piece of bread)
3. Place 1 cup of berries on top of ricotta (1/2 cup for each piece of bread)
4. Sprinkle on 2 Tablespoons goat cheese crumbles (1 Tablespoon for each piece of bread)
- If you have a goat cheese log you can make your own crumbles
5. Drizzle 2 teaspoons honey over everything (1 teaspoon for each piece of bread)
You can mix and match berries or use just your favorite one. This is a great breakfast option or a healthier dessert full of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. I did not toast the bread to make it quicker but if you prefer a warmer, crunchier version then go ahead!
*Nutrition for 2 pieces of ricotta, berry, and goat cheese bread using blackberries & raspberries:
- Calories: 478
- Total fat: 16 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 44 mg
- Sodium: 407 mg
- Carbohydrate: 70 g
- Fiber 14 g
- Sugar: 24 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Potassium: 306 mg
- Vitamin A: 13%
- Vitamin C: 51%
- Calcium: 26%
- Folate: 24%
- Iron: 18%
You can sub part-skim or fat-free ricotta cheese for less calories, fat, and cholesterol but more sodium.
You can also use half the amount of Truvia Nectar in place of honey for less calories, carbohydrates, and sugar.
Eat only 1 piece for half the calories if you want a snack instead of a meal.