I got this recipe out of Bon Appetit magazine and made some changes to make it my own. If you’re anything like me then when you have nachos you want each one to have a little of everything. You don’t want that sad plain nacho that didn’t get any toppings, and you want crispy chips not soft, mushy ones. Use this recipe to get the perfect bite each time. Have picky eaters or those with diet restrictions coming to your party? This is a perfect way to please everyone, just start with the base and let them add their own fixings.
If everyone is ok with cheese but not meat, have meat on the side as a topping. For the cheese, I happened to have some pre-shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend in the refrigerator. Freshly grated cheese melts very nicely though but takes some extra time. Other options include sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack.
Topping ideas: cilantro, sour cream, diced tomatoes, salsa, chopped onions, sliced avocado, corn, mango, guacamole, bacon
Makes: 16 servings (2 batches, each one with 8 servings)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Can opener
- Cooking spray
- 1 large bag of tortilla chips
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- optional, 3 cups shredded or ground meat (try my pulled pork recipe)
- optional, 1 bunch of cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Place 1/2 of chips in a single layer without much overlapping (this prevents soggy chips).
4. If using meat, add pieces to each chip.
5. Open can of beans and place in colander. Run water over to rinse and drain well.
6. Add 1/2 of beans to the chips
6. Add 1/2 of cheese to the chips.
7. If you are cooking just for yourself or don’t have picky eaters/people with diet restrictions, add any other toppings you want.
8. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
9. Remove from oven and serve using spatula for less mess.
10. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
10. Repeat steps 2-10 for 2nd batch.
*Nutrition for 1 portion (1/8 of a pan) not including meat using 2% Mexican 4 cheese blend:
- Calories: 226
- Total fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated fat: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 7.5 mg
- Sodium: 255 mg
- Potassium 76 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 27 g
- Dietary fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
If you choose a lower fat cheese that will reduce calories as well.