I found this recipe in Shape magazine and altered it a bit to make it my own. Perfect for parties (Super Bowl, BBQs, etc) where you can let guests build their own sliders, nachos, or pizza. It’s great to put on the stove a couple hours ahead of time and let it simmer while you finish getting ready.
Makes: 20 portions (1/2 cup serving size)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Medium bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Knife & cutting board
- Deep cooking pot
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lean pork tenderloin (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup water
1. Trim the fat and cut the pork into smaller chunks.
2. Slice 1/2 of a red onion
3. In the deep cooking pot, whisk together 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 cup water.
4. Add the pork and 1/2 red onion
5. Bring to a boil on high heat
6. Reduce the heat so mixture simmers
7. Cover for 1 hour
8. Take chunks of meat out and place into medium bowl and shred with 2 forks. You can shred it finely or leave large chunks depending on your preference.
9. Place shredded pork back into pot, re-cover, and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
*Nutrition for 1/2 cup portion of pulled pork
- Calories: 102
- Total fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Choleserol: 43 mg
- Sodium: 94 mg
- Potassium: 213 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 4 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g